Directors,
This is a list that has been put together over many years of judging jazz bands throughout our wonderful Nation. The list is unique, in that it only includes literature for Grades 1-3. This list is also a compilation of dozens of lists from college jazz education classes, jazz educators and jazz musicians from across our country and across the Internet. This should give everyone a great place to start and as with all of the membership generated lists on MSBandDirector.com, each member should add to the forums and agree, discuss or disagree with any of the items on this list. The end result will be a membership generated list that reflects the EDUCATORs' opinions on how these pieces actually work with young people. Please post your top 10 selections in each category and they will be discussed and potentially added to the list. One member, one piece, one vote. Choose only pieces that should endure and that you would take to adjudicated events! Simply put, the finest.

click here for list

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Directors,
You may have noticed some empty boxes in this list. If you have any of these charts out and can help "fill in" the ranges for these pieces, it will become more collaborative. Please include any comments or sort options. Don't forget, this is the only jazz list out there that is director (not publisher) generated and if you click the title you get taken to a recording of that piece. If you find a recording, shoot me a message and I will add it, if one does not function, let me know and I can change it.
Directors,
Here is yet another list generated by a jazz group (not a publisher) that may be of some use in choosing quality literature. As none of these folks are members yet, this content is not reflected in the MSBandDirector.com list, however much of it is similar! Pretty cool.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~rwh111/charts.html
Russ Weaver said:
Directors,
You may have noticed some empty boxes in this list. If you have any of these charts out and can help "fill in" the ranges for these pieces, it will become more collaborative. Please include any comments or sort options. Don't forget, this is the only jazz list out there that is director (not publisher) generated and if you click the title you get taken to a recording of that piece. If you find a recording, shoot me a message and I will add it, if one does not function, let me know and I can change it.
Directors,
Here is the updated smartmusic jazz list. Although it is industry generated, it could be yet another resource for ease of teaching. Many of these titles also appear on the MSBandDirector.com list.

http://www.smartmusic.com/findmusic/printbylevel.aspx?MCatID=14

The list is accessible from the main page and contains links for listening.
Blue Monk (Sweeney)
Heart and Soul (Berry)
Mood Indigo
All of Me
Christmas Waltz
A Night in Tunisia
Will need arrangers for the last few pieces in order to check them out.

thanks,

RW

Dawane Ledbetter said:
Blue Monk (Sweeney)
Heart and Soul (Berry)
Mood Indigo
All of Me
Christmas Waltz
A Night in Tunisia
Your vote for the Sweeney has been posted.

thanks, list will be updated on the site by Friday.

RW

Russ Weaver said:
Will need arrangers for the last few pieces in order to check them out.

thanks,

RW

Dawane Ledbetter said:
Blue Monk (Sweeney)
Heart and Soul (Berry)
Mood Indigo
All of Me
Christmas Waltz
A Night in Tunisia
All of Me (Holmes)
Caravan (Sweeney)
A Night in Tunisia (Sweeney)
Chameleon (Sweeney)
Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Nowak)
The Christmas Waltz (Nowak)
Moon River (Stitzel)
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Nowak)
Boogie Down (Sweeney)
Fly Me to the Moon (Sweeney)
Ghost Writer--Doug Beach Music--Shutak (sp?). Great piece--makes your band sound great and it is not too technically difficult. Our middle band played it this past year and the kids loved it!

RSS

Sponsored Links

Keep this site member supported.

Membership donations keep corporate presence to a minimum.  Support this grass roots collaborative effort today with your tax-deductable contribution.  No support is too small.

Latest Activity

Drew Shanefield posted songs
8 hours ago
Drew Shanefield posted a status
8 hours ago
Drew Shanefield posted a status
"So happy that a new work for young band, Elegy and Allegro, has gone into publication! Would you like to check it out? Here's that link"
8 hours ago
Kerri Glickstein updated their profile
Thursday

Birthdays

© 2017   Created by GHN.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service